News from Department of Public Works
- Sidewalk Program - The Village re-instituted a sidewalk replacement program in July. A small number of homeowners have been notified of repairs to be made. Next spring the program will be expanded to include additional homeowners. We estimate it could take up to six years to expand the program through the entire Village. I recommend property owners initiate repairing their sidewalks to avoid a potential hazard and not wait for the Village to contact them.
- Trees - According to Village of Sturtevant Municipal Code, property owners own and are responsible for the maintenance of all trees in the parkways. There are regulations regarding these trees and what trees can be planted in this area. Visit [ORDINANCES] to review these regulations. We will notify all property owners if trees are not in compliance with Village ordinance. Trees and shrubs can create potentially unsafe conditions for those walking or riding bikes on sidewalks and/or roadways. Please make sure trees and shrubs are trimmed to not obstruct sidewalks or roads.
- Grass - Grass clippings blown into the streets are costing the Village thousands of dollars each year in order to stay in compliance with DNR regulations. Keep grass clippings in your yard or bag them. Per Village ordinance, violators can be ticketed.
- Leaves - Leaves may be bagged and put on the curb the 2nd Monday of the month or they can be dropped off at the Village Drop Off Site on 87th Street on Saturdays from 10am to 2pm until November 17. Take advantage of this facility. DO NOT blow or rake leaves into the street.
- Yard Waste/Branch Pick-up - 2nd Monday of each Month
- Bulk Pick-up - 3rd Monday of each Month. If items are not picked up on Monday during that week, we just haven't reached your neighborhood yet. Make sure items are placed on the curb by 7am on Monday. DO NOT leave items on the curb for WEEKS at a time as it is unsightly and it will kill the grass.
- Snow Season - Winter will be here sooner than you think. Just a reminder - property owners have 24 hours to clear their sidewalks after the end of any snow fall. Property owners will be billed overtime rates if the Village clears their sidewalk. Starting December 1st, alternate side parking goes into effect. Park your vehicles accordingly.