Building Safety Department
- Currently Vacant - Phone: 262-886-7223
- Please Contact the Village of Mount Pleasant Building Inspectors at (262) 664-7800. The Village of Mount Pleasant Inspectors are Mark Schmidt, Leonard Hannula, and Robert Pucely(Plumbing Inspector).
- Please note that the Village of Sturtevant has a special delegated status assigned by the Wisconsin Department of Commerce, to perform Commercial Plan Review. Please contact the Village of Sturtevant at (262) 886-7201 prior to starting any commercial building project.
- CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
- CLICK HERE TO VIEW SPECIAL DELEGATION APPOINTMENT LETTER
Submittal Items Required to Obtain Residential Single Family Building Permits
The permit Application Process-
• When a permit is required your submittal must include: 2 sets of plans for review. After the plans are reviewed and approved, the applicant will get a set returned to them which has a stamp of approval from the building department. This set of plans must remain on the job site for the duration of the project. These plans must be available to the inspector, or inspections will not be performed. The second set is kept on file at the building department for the assessor. • Submitted documents must show all proposed work. Plans need to be clear enough for any lay person to understand.
Required Documents when applying for a Building Permit Application-
- 2 sets of Plans, drawn to scale
- 3 copies of Plat Survey
- WI Uniform Building Permit Application SBD-5823 (located under FORMS)
- 2 copies of Heat Calcs
- Fireplace specs (if applicable)
- Village of Sturtevant Building forms – (6) (located under FORMS)
Payments required after plan approval –
- Sewer Connection Fee – for 2012 - $3850.00
- Erosion Bond Control – for 2011 - $1000.00
- Park Impact Fee – for 2011 - $1250.00
- Sidewalk/Tree Escrow Bond – for 2012 (If applicable)
- Racine Water Connection Fee – for 2011 - $3770.00 (If applicable)
- Building Permit Fee - Will be determined after plan review
Permits required during the building process –
- ELECTRIC - provide credentials
- PLUMBING – must be pulled by a licensed plumber-needs to supply Certificate of Insurance and License and submit water calculations.
- HVAC - provide credentials
- SEWER/UTILITY - must be pulled by a licensed plumber-needs to supply Certificate of Insurance and License.
- Smoke detectors and CO detectors are mandatory 2/1/2011
- CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
This may not be a complete list – other departments may be involved – additional items may be required.
IF WORK IS STARTED/COMPLETED WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF PERMITS – IT IS A VIOLATION. NO FURTHER PERMITS WILL BE ISSUED FOR THAT SITE UNTIL THE VIOLATION IS CORRECTED. DOUBLE FEES WILL BE APPLIED TO THE VIOLATION(S).
Sometimes an “Early Footing Permit” is requested during plan review. This permit only allows the beginning process of the build up to but not including framing.
INSPECTIONS MUST BE CALLED IN TO 262-554-8750 MINIMUM 24 HRS IN ADVANCE. SEE LIST OF BASIC INSPECTIONS NEEDED. (Located under FORMS)
When Do I Need a Permit?
- Accessory Buildings
- Air Conditioning (new/replacement)
- Building Additions/Alterations
- Electrical Additions/Alterations
- Fuel Tanks (for removal purposes)
- Garages (new/replacement)
- Hot Tubs/Spas
- Heating/Furnaces (new/replacement)
- Hot Water Heater (new/replacement)
- Swimming Pools (exception-readily movable wading pools w/depths less than 2')
- This list in not inclusive.
When Do I Need an Inspection?
ANYTIME you attain a permit an inspection is usually needed. It is the home owners responsibility to ensure all final inspections have been done regardless of who pulled the permit.